The Degibna Prayer Chapel web pages
Degibna Prayer Chapel and Prayer Garden
Special April Newsletter 2020
This is the first of the promised monthly newsletters coming to most of you by email. (If you receive this by post but do have an email address, please let me have if for future newsletters.) I hope you are keeping safe and well in these unprecedented times.
For all of us this will be a very different Easter. Nevertheless the good news of Jesus Christ continues to be good news in difficult and troubled times. The Easter story of death and resurrection reminds us that even when things go from bad to worse, there is still hope and God is not defeated. May the message of Easter take on a new depth of meaning for all of us this year as around the world we battle the coronavirus and begin to tackle the personal, social and international repercussions.
This short reflection will be familiar to many of you as it comes from 1 of our 8 meditation cards.
It is a timely reminder that our God is mighty and merciful – mightier by far than the coronavirus!
This does not mean we should underestimate the profound effect the virus is likely to have on our economy and society, but it does mean that we can confidently trust in God who is able to do far
more than we ask or imagine. May these words strengthen and encourage us in troubled times.
Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
mightier than the breakers of the sea –
the Lord on high is mighty.” Psalm 93 v4
‘Mightier than politics, economics or genetics;
mightier than psychology, sociology or theology;
mightier than chance, fate or superstition;
mightier than disease, decay or death;
mightier than our troubles, anxieties or worries;
mightier than our failures, frustrations and fears;
mightier than all that would overwhelm us:
the Lord on high is mighty,
the Lord on high is compassionate,
and he cares for us.
Vision Meeting Summary
Our Annual Vision meeting took place on Monday 16th March. Since then it has been decided that no events or bookings take place for the time being even for individuals. The Prayer Garden remains open but the nearby National Trust Car Park is closed.
The following Good News was shared at the Vision Meeting:
- 68 Friends so far this year [now 72].
- Our first Community & Friends Social attracted 20+.
- We have been given an electric piano on long-term loan.
numbers have increased to 15+.
- Snowdrops from Margaret Froggatt have been planted in garden & front lawn.
- 10th Anniversary Cake ordered. Rev Steven Wild hopes to attend.
Other matters reported and discussed :
- Sadly the coronavirus + 2 quotations for work on outside toilet that were much higher than anticipated, means that our Anniversary Garden Scheme is now suspended and will need modifying. A simpler scheme is envisaged still focusing on the garden and improving disabled access but excluding rebuilding the outside toilet. Thanks to those who have already contributed.
- Sadly also, our wonderful cleaner, Lucy, has had to step down for health reasons. We wish her well.
- John Bilkey reported that our finances are healthy.
- We shared in a time of reflection based on 4 themes from our Epiphany Communion.
- We are considering purchasing a set of ‘Singing The Faith’ as our ‘Hymns & Psalms’ copies are showing their age.
- Next year’s Vision meeting will be after Easter (2.00pm Monday 26th April 2021) in the hope that more Friends can attend.
Spring Harvest Home
With thousands of other Barbara and I had booked to attend Spring Harvest at Minehead this year but, like so many other events, it has been cancelled … or rather adapted! This year Spring Harvest takes place online and anyone can join in.
‘Here is a completely free online conference programme with content suitable for everyone in the family. Lined up for the week after Easter (April 13 – 17), we have some amazing material all built around the 2020 theme of
“Unleashed – The Acts Church Today“. Never has there been a more appropriate time for us to gather together as a community to worship, learn, laugh and pray together.’ Visit www.springharvest.org for more details and to register.